The material has been presented on May 15, 2013 by students at group 3. This group had showed about India English for students, which includes users, histories, and also characteristics of India English.
The users of English in India are around 350 million peoples. India is a richest country with their local languages. There are 18 local languages that native peoples using in this country, such as Banggali, Hindi, Marathu, Malayalam, Kasmiri, Konkani, and other. Base on history, the histories of English in India can be categories into 3 periods, that are:
- Father Thomas Stephens (1579- 1834), is the first English person who arrived in Goa, India.
- Thomas Macaulay (1835- 1947)
- The beginning with India’s independent day and the establishes of Pakistan (1947- at the moment)
Actually, the characteristics of India English than other English in the world are located in pronunciation, the structure of grammar, vocabulary, and also style of pragmatics.
- Structure of Grammar
- Use the invariant taq question
- The use of since with the present progressive
- It more forceful than other English
- Standard English word have different meaning
- Style of Pragmatic
- It follow with example question
- Answer yes/ no question base on form of question
From group 3 presentation, the writer can conclude that English in India different than other. It may caused by local language of India.